Japan-tastic!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Well, I thought a typhoon was coming today (there's like 3 hovering near Japan) and I ran out to get some groceries, but I think it just might miss the Kansai area. (Hope so, riding my bike or walking in the rain will not be fun!) So even though there was supposed to be rain, we had a gorgeous sunset!




I also have to admit that I spent a little bit of money at the mall today! I bought a skirt (which I can wear to work) and a yukata (light kimono) which I'm hoping to wear to the Tokae Matsuri this weekend- its like a lantern festival or something. One thing I love shopping here, everything is in my size! Like, the default clothing and shoe size is my size! For instance, the yukata came with shoes and I bought it without even trying them on because I knew they would fit me! It makes it even more tempting to buy stuff! *hehehe*


Anyway, I've been online too long! I just got my Skype account set up, so I'll be making some calls soon. Although Skype seems a bit fickle and doesn't like to work sometimes.

Anyway, I'll leave you with a few observations/ differences about Japan:

-Everyone backs into car spaces.
-People really are as subtle/ indirect as they say. (Take a suggestion as a statement or command, it will make your life way easier.)
-All bikes come with metal baskets in front.
-Even though they say ‘Japan isn’t that safe, be careful’, parents will leave little kids unattended at by the video games at the mall and just go and shop wherever.
-Some malls don’t have walls dividing stores from the rest of the shopping center.
-Vending machines everywhere.
-VERY narrow streets, they should be one-way, but they’re not. People bike on both sides of the street and you better be damn careful because the gutters are more like deep gullies and are about 1-2 feet deep right next to the road. It’s so tight when you’re biking in places that I accidentally rammed into someone’s side-view car mirror. Oops…
-Even public buildings will often not have A/C. School hallways don’t either, just the offices.
-Smoking is allowed *everywhere*. In the city hall, in hotel hallways, fast food joints, everywhere. The airport has its own, separate smoking room, as does the teacher’s office. We even had a separate ash try in the hotel bathrooms. I guess some people just have to have that drag as soon as they get out of the shower.
-Grocery stores have more fish than meat. Fruit is insanely expensive: over $10 for a cantaloupe, about $1 for a single apple… and I think most are packed with preservatives.
-They can change the equivalent of almost $100 bill at a convenience store without blinking an eye.
-High School kendo competitions on TV. (and sumo, and go)
-Parasols are as common as umbrellas and come with UV protection like sunglasses. I adore them- I've always wanted a parasol and they were on sale at the mall too, so I have 2 now and I'm tempted to by more! *No, no, stop!* They are just soooo cute an girly!
-All main walkways, corners and public buildings have rows of bumps in the concrete (I’ll have to take a pic). I heard they were for the blind, so they would know where there are crosswalks, stairs, etc. Braille for your feet. Go figure.
-The biscuits at KFC have holes in them like donuts and you eat them with maple syrup instead of butter!

1 Comments:

  • Greetings to you my native friend. Just read through your LONG blog. What excitement you two must be having over there!! I cracked up when I read about Nara park...If Thoreau was there he would of have pooped a Japanese egg roll due to all the free range deer, HAH!! Keep up the good work and dedication. You look like such a doll with that umbrella! I hope Steve is finding the nooks and crannies of the music culture. Have you guys eaten any dogs yet??? Thoreau wouldn't like that I don't think. I'll be going to Vermont this Saturday for a week to visit Patrick and Thoreau and to enjoy frolicking and camping in the fall foliage of the northeast. Me and him are about 97% sure that we will be residing in Door County. Hopefully one of these years we can all be living there at the same time. Love you both!! -JulieAnn-

    By Blogger JulieAnn, at 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home